1/26/15

2014 IN BOOKS

I've been wanting to do this post for a few weeks, but I am just now getting the chance to sit down and get it together.

I love reading. I go through stages though. Sometimes I will read one book after another, or several at one time. And other times? I will go weeks without wanting to pick up a book. Weird...but that's how it has always been for me.

Anyway, for the last three years, I have set a goal to read a book a week...or 52 books throughout the year. The first year, I read 30 something. The next year I think I got to 39. And last year, I was so so so close...I think I read 49. This year, I set a goal to read 60, to mix things up (and hopefully, to actually hit 52 books this year! Ha).

I want to get better about posting reviews in smaller, more frequent batches. But, for now...here's what last year in books looked like.








Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me (ha!), but I can usually find something redeeming or enjoyable about every book I read. That being said, there are definitely books I love more than others.

LEAST FAVORITES
I normally LOVE Jen Lancaster. But, I wasn't a big fan of Twisted Sisters. I think I just prefer when Jen writes non-fiction (she has a new non-fiction book coming out this year!). I mean, this book was cute, more so after the fact.

Psychos by Babe Miller. This is the follow up to White Girl Problems. It is equally as absurd, but not near as funny.

Goodnight June by Sarah Jio. I have read a lot of praise for Sarah, so I was pretty excited about reading this book. Ehh. I really felt like she just kind of threw a bunch of stuff in the story that didn't flow. Not a fan of this book, but I will probably try something else of her's soon.

Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I know! I loved the first two books. But this was just bad. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't read the books (or wants to see the movies without the spoiler). But I don't like it when authors end books this way. Seems like a cop out.

FAVORITES
Sandra Brown's Exclusive and Mean Streak. I've loved everything that I've read of Sandra's but I told a friend that Mean Streak may be my new favorite. The stories are always fascinating and keep me on the edge of my seat. But Sandra's writing is just so good. SO SO good.

Emily Giffin's Th One and Only. Football? Texas? Emily Giffin writing? SOLD!

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes. I LOVED this book so much. It may have been my absolute favorite of last year.

Magical Dress Making series by Melissa Bourbon. These are really cute, quick reads. They are set in a fictional town near me...and I just think they are so fun. The new one just came out...I need to go pick it up!

So there you have it. What are some of your favorite recent reads? Any authors I need to know about?

We are almost done with January 2015 and I've only read two books...so I'm already behind for this year's goals. Sounds about right!!

1 comment:

  1. I have Mean Streak AND The Girl You Left Behind on my kindle, but I haven't read either of them yet. I guess I need to get on them both! I'm sure that I'll love Sandra Brown-- I'm a sucker for any good suspenseful thriller. But after Me Before You left me so emotionally drained, I've been nervous about another Jojo Moyes book. (ps-- what is that pink font in your graphic?? I love it!!)

    ReplyDelete