4/9/15

BOOK UPDATE

Every year, I set a goal to read a specific number of books. 52 was the magic number for several years. But, I never did quite make it. So this year, I thought I would be super smart and set my goal for 60 (or 5 books a month). I figured even if I didn't quite make that....I may just hit the 52. HA.

I started the year off on the wrong foot...reading only 2 books in January. But, I've been in a bit of a zone here lately, so I thought I would share what I've been reading.



I shared January's books here. Since then, I have read 16 books.

I finished up the Pretty Little Liars (by Sara Shepard) series with Vicious. I'll be the first to admit that the books (and the show, for that matter) are a bit repetitive (and unrealistic). But...I love them. Guilty pleasure. That being said, I finished this book in February, and I honestly could not tell you much about it. I think the main problem is that I read through them so quickly and they are kind of brainless, zoned-out reads. But, sometimes those are a good thing. 

The Devil in the Junior League (Linda Francis Lee) was pretty cute. 

Southern Comfort (Fern Michaels) was a quick, easy read. Thought it was kind of cheesy, but not awful. I've not read any other Fern Michaels stuff, so I'm not sure if that is par for the course or not. 

I got Yeah Maybe (by Joey Hodges) after Ryan posted a link to her blog. This turned out to be really cute. It reminded me of a lot of other young adult books I've read....and I mean that in a good way. 

Speaking of young adult, I finally finished up book 2 and 3 of The Selection series. The Elite and The One were both pretty good. I enjoyed The Selection the most of the three, but I'm looking forward to the next book coming out next month. I definitely recommend these books. 

I picked up The Andy Cohen Diaries on a whim one day at the library. I enjoyed his first book, and occasionally catch Watch What Happens Live. Anyway, once I started it, I could not stop. I'm a nosy girl, and this appeased my curiosity of what it's like to be a celebrity (of sorts) and hang out with famous people. 

I finally finished Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin. I took notes as I read this book, so it took me a bit longer to read. That being said, I really enjoyed it. It challenged me to be more attentive and focused when reading the Bible. Jen gives an approach to studying that reminded me a lot of college. In fact, I'm not sure I studied anything in college with as much thought as this. Of course, if anything is going to be studied so carefully, it should be the Bible, right? I have already put into practice some of the things she discusses and will be keeping this book for future reference. I may do an update on this and how it is working for me in the future.

I have been trying to finish The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead FOREVER. Seriously. According to goodreads.com, I started the book in August and didn't finish it until March. That's not to say it was awful. I just routinely have a difficult time getting into these books. I end up really liking each book though. They are a spin off of her series Vampire Academy...so I feel like I've been a part of "this world" for a long time. There are three more books in the series. Hopefully I can get through them in the next few weeks! I am interested to see how everything works out.

ALL THE AMISH BOOKS

I read my first Amish book in January. And now, I'm hooked. Well, I should say that I'm hooked to Beverly Lewis. I tried to read two other authors (Leaving Lancaster by Kate Lloyd and A Change of Heart by Beth Wiseman) and I didn't care for either of those as much.

I did finish up the Rose Trilogy by Lewis. Both The Judgement and The Mercy were really good. I miss the families though. That is one thing I hate about a good book or series...I miss the characters when I'm done!!

I also started the Home to Hickory Hollow series. There are 5 stand alone books in the series, and I've read three so far (I'm starting book 4 today). The Fiddler has been my favorite of the three, so far. Each book has a new main character, but characters from the other books make appearances, so that is fun.

1 comment:

  1. I've read several of those Beverly Lewis ones! I don't think I've read The Guardian or The Bridesmaid though!

    ReplyDelete