10/6/14

BOOKS : WEIGHT LOSS

Confession: I have bought and/or read a lot of weight loss books.


I'm not sure if I was trying to find the secret cure, or it was just my love of reading that led me to them, but either way... they take up quite a bit of room on the bookshelf.

I thought I would share some of my favorites with y'all today.


The first weight loss type book I ever bought was Oprah's Make the Connection. I was in high school, and I watched Oprah with my mom almost every day. The weight loss specials on her show were always my favorite... so when she (and Bob Greene) released this book, I knew I had to have it.

It's actually a pretty great book. I really like Bob (as you'll soon see) and the diary entries/commentary from Oprah are so easy to relate with. 

one/two/three/four
one/two:: I've read several of Bob Greene's books and they all pretty much have the same message. He seems to focus mostly on the emotional ties to weight gain/loss and healthy steps. When I first read Make the Connection, I thought none of the emotional stuff applied to me. As I have gotten older, I have definitely 'made the connection'. I am an emotional eater. IN THE WORST WAY.

three:: I've watched Dr. Fuhrman's special on PBS (it's pretty informative). His approach is a bit more restrictive, but I honestly think this lifestyle is more health focused (weight loss being an added bonus). I've read pretty much of all of this book and it's very scientific/research based, which I actually enjoy.

four:: I love weight loss reality television, and Extreme Weight Loss is one of my favorites. Chris (and Heidi) just seem so genuine and you can't deny the results on the show. I picked up this book last summer and read through most of it. It's all about carb-cycling, which I had actually never heard of prior to reading. Very informative. I still haven't put the carb-cycling thing into place (that would take planning..haha)... but I have been wanting to cut back on my wheat/gluten intake (as an experiment) and I think this would allow me to do so slowly.

There are also several books I have on my 'want to read' list, so I thought I would share those with you as well.

one/two/three/four
one:: Everyone I know is doing/going to do/or has already done WHOLE 30. I've mentioned that C and I want to do it, but that whole planning thing keeps getting in our way (there is a LOT of planning required for people like us to do Whole 30). But, I still want to do it and see what kind of results we get. This is the more in depth book that goes along with the program.

two:: I really like Jillian.  I'm not sure how I would respond to her way of training/motivating. But, I think the fact that it scares me is proof that it's probably the thing I need. I read her book Unlimited last summer. It's not a weight loss book (more of a change your life type book) and I LOVED it.

three:: I read a lot of Dr. Amen's book (Change Your Brain, Change Your Body) earlier this year, and a week or so later, I saw The Daniel Plan at Mardel. I need to go back and get it. I want to read it and start it at the beginning of the year. I think it would be a good resolutions/new year kick off type program.

four:: I'm actually in the process of reading this book. I started reading it a few months ago, but decided I didn't want to just breeze through it like I have a tendency to do with other books. I want to actually read it along with my Bible and take notes and use it more as a Bible study. So, I put it aside for a while until I'm was ready to dive into it properly.

What are your favorite healthy/weight loss books?

click here to read all my 31 days to weight loss posts

No comments:

Post a Comment