10/13/14

GOOD HABITS

Sometimes it's just easier to focus on the bad. I don't know why that is, but I'll be the first to admit that I can always pick out what went wrong before I can recall what went right.

When I wrote yesterday's blog post about my bad habits (well, those that relate to my weight loss journey anyway), I realized that I could go on and on and on about all the things I do "wrong" or "bad". But I didn't want to just leave it at that. Even though some days are a real struggle, I know that (even) I have some redeeming "good" qualities/habits that can benefit me as I try to lose this weight and get healthy!

1. Seek the positive. Sure, it is easy to see the bad. But, I always challenge myself to try and find something good in even the worst situation. I've been doing that at night the last week or so. I may not have tracked my points or got in all my fruits or veggies, but I'll remember that I drank water instead of soda at lunch. Or maybe I went ahead and did my workout even though I didn't really have time (or want to do it!). I don't ever want to go to bed and think that the day was a complete failure...because it NEVER EVER EVER is. 

2. I like to celebrate the small stuff. If I did drink water instead of coke? You better believe I'll high five myself. Or, more than likely I'll tell C and then we'll high five. I've been known to say "at least you're trying" to myself on LOTS of occasions...even if "trying" is a stretch. Some might say this is being too easy on yourself, but I know that I can be my own worst critic.... so it's good to have some positive vibes, right?!

3. Not giving up. Ever. Sometimes I really do feel defeated on this journey. I'm sure there have been several times when I thought "why bother?". But I try and snap myself out of those moments real QUICK. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that one day, I will no longer be overweight.  I know it deep deep down in my heart. And, because of this, I won't give up. I mean, it's kind of embarrassing how many times I've started and stopped and then started over. But, not near as embarrassing as starting and stopping and then never starting again. 

4. Cheerleaders. This isn't so much something I do, but more the people I surround myself with. I have a great circle of family and friends that cheer me on. When I was losing weight before, I would post (on Facebook) my weigh-in results every Tuesday night...and if I was late or missed a Tuesday, I had several messages wondering why I hadn't posted! Talk about accountability!! My grandparents requested a phone call every Tuesday night and it was always the big celebration when I would tell them I lost. (I really did lose almost every week...even if it was only 1/2 a pound...there was a celebration!). 

5. Knowing my stuff. I've read lots of books on eating healthy, watched televisions specials, listened to Doctors talk about weight loss methods. And, I'm always looking to learn more. I think this is a really powerful tool...I just need to put it all to use! Ha.

6. I like healthy foods. I really do like salads and fruits and veggies. Sure, I enjoy the bad stuff a little bit more. But, I'm not one of those people who wont eat vegetables. 

7. Wanting it. I want to be thin. And, I want to do what it takes to be thin and healthy. I think that is key. I mean, I've always wanted to lose the weight, but there have been plenty of times where I just felt like I didn't really want to put in the work. Sounds awful, but it was the truth. I think wanting it + wanting to do it is the magical combination!!

What are some of your good habits?
click her to read all my 31 days to weight loss posts

No comments:

Post a Comment