9/20/14

A DAY IN THE LIFE

Happy Saturday!!

I almost skipped today's blog-tember post. It's not like it is that challenging of a topic. But, I found myself dealing with a bit of insecurity when I sat down to write it.

Today's prompt: Share a day in the life. Pictures, timelines, stats, however you like.

I decided to go ahead and share a peek into my day to day. This is a pretty accurate representation of where I am at this point in my life. It's not all that exciting. I realize a lot of (busy!) women would probably love to have my schedule (or lack there of). And I'll admit... some days are great. But, overall, I feel very unfulfilled. And lonely. I think my initial embarrassment when I tried to come up with a timeline of my day is a pretty good indicator that now is the time to make some changes!! It makes me sad to think that anyone isn't be living to their full potential. And yet, here I am doing just that.

When I first started working from home, it was SO MUCH FUN. I went from getting up early and going to school or working for a school to having all my time to myself. I was blogging regularly (at my old blog) and had enough design business to 1) keep me busy and 2) give me some fun money. Since then, I have had lots and lots of clients but I've also experienced some pretty serious lulls.  I've had a roller coaster of emotions with my design business. Most of the time, I love it. LOVE IT. It's fun to meet new people and work with them on designing their blog, wedding announcement, business logo, etc. But, sometimes, it's not so fun. Sometimes people are indecisive (and rude) and I feel sort of like I'm not really doing anything worthwhile. That being said, I think those are completely normal emotions for most people (Lord knows I have experienced them at all of my previous jobs...to some extent).

Don't get me wrong, working from home has a lot of perks. I don't have a set schedule. I have the freedom to go and do as I please and I'm SO SO SO grateful for that. But, I'm not always a good steward of my time. Some days I get a lot of things accomplished. Some days? I get NOTHING accomplished. I think this is a major source of my restlessness right now. 

I have a passion for design. But, I feel like I need to be doing more. I need more structure. I am hoping that going back to finish up my certification in the spring proves to be just the catapult I need into my new season of life!!

Anyway... my day to day....



:: I usually wake up around 10ish. I am a night owl. Some nights I don't go to sleep until 4 or 5 am. Crazy!!

:: I'm not very good about eating breakfast. Sometimes I have a banana and peanut butter. Maybe oatmeal. Most of the time, I just skip breakfast.

:: I usually check my email and facebook. I may read a little. I might start some laundry or do any dishes from the previous night. 

:: I might go pick up lunch. Or, I'll eat at home if I'm being "good". My favorite thing for lunch right now is broccoli with cucumber-ranch dip, rice crackers with a cheese wedge and grapes. So good.

:: If my mom has my niece(s) or nephew, I may drive over to her house to visit and play. I'll run errands and maybe go to library or bookstore while I'm out.

:: Even if I don't have anywhere to go, I will take a little drive in the middle of the day. Driving helps me clear my head and think. Plus it gets me out of the house for a bit. I do my best thinking while I'm driving. So, if I am in a creative rut, I will drive out to the lake (right behind us) and make a loop around a neighborhood and then come back. 

:: I rarely watch television during the day. If I'm working, I may watch Harry Potter. I like to have the background noise, and I swear it helps me think better.

:: When C gets home, we may go run some more errands or go shopping (he LOVES to grocery shop). We watch television and cook dinner (or go out to eat). This is my favorite part of the day... to just hang out with him.

:: Once he goes to bed, I do some cleaning. I watch my shows that have been dvr'd. I also loooove watching documentaries on Netflix. And other series (I just watched Friday Night Lights...OMG). I read some blogs. I will blog. Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, etc. I will do some more work, if I have any.

:: Once I get in bed, I may watch some Modern Family reruns or try to read. I always try to go to sleep by 2am.... but a lot of times I toss and turn until C is getting up to get ready for work. CRAZY!!

It seems SO boring when I type it all out. It also makes me question why our apartment isn't spotless and organized a la Martha Stewart. But, like I said. I'm not good with my time. I think the busier I am, the better I am with my time. If that makes sense? As it is, most days I have all these hours that are free and I feel like I wander around in circles with no direction.

Anyway... there ya have it.  I need to get better about living with intention. I do better when I make daily to-do lists, which is something I need to challenge myself to do more often.

I am planning on going back to school in the spring. I'm hoping that will keep me busy and that new responsibility will bring some life back into my everyday! That is a statement I never would have said 10 years ago!! Ha. I'm getting old!

No comments:

Post a Comment